Well this last weekend was the big backpacking trip! I ahve to admit it wasn't as fun as I was wanting it to be and it was alot harder than I was expecting it to be too!! We left RS at about 3 and headed up to Big Piney. We stopped and camped for the night just outside of the trail head of North Piney Lake. I don't think I have ever been so cold as I was that night. I wouldn't say that this is what we woke up to because none of us really slept at all Friday night... We froze to death.
The fishing wasn't great for me but other ppl caught a bunch. I am not the best fisherwoman in the world just to clarify that up. The first fish I caught was a good sized one but it was only like ten minutes into my fishing and you could only keep one fish so I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep it or not. So as I was waiting for my teacher to come over and check it out, I put the fish in the water and just held onto it. Apparently fish get more slippery in the water because he swam right out of my hands. So that was the deciding factor on whether to keep it or not. It was fun to be able to fish in such a nice pond where fish actually bite.
So I went back out after dinner and I caught one. It was about a 13 inch one and so I decided to keep it and eat it! So these were all the fish I gutted, yes I do like to gut them and plus it was my good deed for the week. Mine is the biggest one of course, the one closest to my hand
Please don't look too close because I look like crap, no shower or hair spray for three days is rough on a girl:)
This is how much we loved our fish... hah ya right they were dinner right after this pic. But anyways look at the girl to the left of me. She is from Ethiopia and had never done anything like this before. She was such a trooper and she slept in a tent by herself. I know I wouldn't even like to sleep by myself and I have gone alot.
This was our food that we were keeping away from the bears!! We don't mess around when we go camping!! Anyways this night was full of wildlife. First there was a deer that came right down to the lake as I was fishing then as we were going to be the elk were calling like crazy... It was so awesome. But the scary thing was a wolf was in our camp that night. Kids heard it sniffing outside their tents and a girl say it. I'm glad I was asleep by then cuz I would've freaked. Jessica was sitting by the fire that night and a voice told her to go to bed but she ignored it cuz she liked the fire and then it came again shortly after but louder and so she listened and its a good thing she did cuz she would've been that wolves dinner! So we got up the next morning and got stuff ready to head out. We hiked the first two miles in like 45 minutes... cuz it was all downhill.
This was the creek we had to cross. And thats megan changing back into her hiking boots cuz she wore sandals to cross it. But the last two miles were hot and hard and tiring. I think at least the last half mile was straight uphill and yes I almost died. I was so tired I just wanted to cry... ok not really but I just wanted to get done. And we finally made it back.
Good thing for walking sticks to crutch up the mtn with! And this was me and my pack. I think it weighed about 50 pounds cuz it was a killer!!
I was doing a little victory dance with my stick!! No i was just super excited to be done
This was our class that went up there. We all made it back home safely but I think we all were feeling the pain today... I know at least I was and that I am still not caught up on sleep yet! So if anyone is wanting to go on a nice casual hike to a nice pond to fish, don't go on this one. Take a four wheeler and dont go in September. But it was a nice fun way to earn 2 credits!! oh and no I didnt catch anything on my pink fly... the fish were only biting dry flies.
4 comments:
Hey Tif, Looks like it was fun, other than the cold and the animals in your camp and all the walking. Anyway, I am glad that you survived. Did you eat anything else but fish? Well have a great day, See ya. Mikal
Tiff, I am so jealous that you are taking this class for college!! It looks like tons of fun...even though you almost froze to death and you have to actually touch those slippery little fish. lol But ya, I am pretty jealous!!
Tiffy! oh my goodness! How are you? Its been so long since I've seen you.... How is everything? Love ya! Shelb
Hey geek! You had me rolling at work! Since when did you become such a sissy wet pants? What happened to my tough sister...or was it brother? jk. I'm jealous because I haven't been camping for a long time. Well I'm glad you survived the hike-without hairspray. I'm so proud :) PS nice flies!
Post a Comment